A development application has been submitted by Burgundy Group for the construction of a 15-storey residential tower located on the south-west corner of the heritage-listed Shafston House site at 23 Castlebar Street, Kangaroo Point.
According to the application, a key driver behind the development is the preservation, restoration and enhancement of Shafston House and its grounds, as one of Brisbane’s most recognised heritage places.
“The proposed 15-storey apartment building and riverside homes will assist with funding future restoration works to Shafston House (the original dwelling) and its grounds (subject to separate development permits).”
“A key aspect of the development is to create a juxtaposition between the ‘old’ and ‘new’, whilst preserving significant views to and from the original house and maintaining the open lawn as a prominent feature of the proposal.” – Urbis
- Advertisement -
The proposed development is located on the southern edge of the site. When viewed from the river, the foreground of the expansive lawn and Shafston House remains the dominant feature of the site.
Designed by Rothelowman, there will be 37 luxury three and four bedroom apartments as well as two four-bedroom river homes.
There is a high degree of detailed plans around design elements to bring the development in line with Buildings that Breathe guidelines, including natural ventilation of internal apartment spaces and increased landscaping throughout the building and site.
- Site Area: 9,958m2. Extent of development 2,657m2
- GFA: 2,641m2
- Height: 15-storeys / RL 77.4m
- Apartments: x27 three bedroom apartments, x12 four bedroom apartments (x39 apartments total)
- Lifts: x2 lifts
- Retail: No ground floor retail
- Communal Space: Open lawn = 19.7% of total site. Open lawn + future communal recreation zone = 22.7% of total site
- Car Parking: x102 spaces
- Bike Parking: x49 spaces
- Architect: Rothelowman
- Landscape Design: RPS Group
- Town Planner: Urbis
- Sustainability: Subtropical buildings that breathe design features. The development includes a provision for a rooftop solar array system which would provide power to offset common area power consumption and rainwater harvesting.
The development proposal seeks a preliminary approval are the future use of:
- Shaftson House proper as a luxury private residence
- Orderlies building as communal recreation facilities
- Wards building for residential dwellings
- Postal Depot building as ancillary space for the residential dwellings in the estate (exact purpose to be determined)
- Northern riverhomes
- Communal recreation area to the north-west of Shafston House proper
- Associated filling and excavation
PlansApp E - Proposed Plans
- Advertisement -
Tell us what you think about this masterplan below in the comment box. The development application for this project, available to view on Brisbane City Council’s Developmenti online platform is A005933994.