A development application has been submitted by Jubilee Project (QLD) Pty Ltd for a new 14-storey commercial tower located at 470 St Pauls Terrace.
Located within the Bowen Hills Priority Development Area, the building would consist of 18,166 sqm of commercial office space (GFA) and feature a new 250 sqm public plaza and laneway which would be activated by the Jubilee hotel as well as new ground retail tenancies including a new beer garden.
Under the proposal, the new plaza would help allow the existing heritage building to become the ‘jewel’ or key architectural component of the precinct. All modern redundant structures are planned to be removed in order to reveal the full heritage character of the Jubilee Hotel.
According to the development application, the project proposes a theme of ‘diversification and innovation’. It plans to achieve this by assigning the lower levels of the tower to be used as an innovative ‘startup’ hub, which is a growing trend around the Fortitude Valley-Bowen Hills area.
- Advertisement -
The architects, Blight Rayner have come up with a distinctive cantilever and external structural load based solution in response to a number of site challenges. The external structural design has been used for its lightweight approach – desirable above the M7 tunnels which runs underneath the site.
A cantilever design approach has been applied so that the tower’s massing is minimised and helps preserve line of sight for the heritage Jubilee Hotel.
An offset core to the proposed commercial floor plate proposes to achieve efficiency of the workplace and can help to increase occupancy density.
The development is also targeting a 6 Star Green Star, 5 Star NABERS and Gold WELL Building Standard with rooftop solar panel installations proposed.
Two basement levels are proposed which would accommodate 91 carparks. A cycle club facility is planned which would house 104 bikes, 200 lockers and 17 showers.
- Advertisement -
Designed by Lat27, a subtropical-style rooftop garden is proposed which will provide a function space with expansive decks, city views and breezes.
The space is designed to accommodate a range of activities from large client events, to team BBQs to smaller gathering spaces. Shaded seating and BBQ areas will be framed by dense vegetation to bring shade and cooling to the roof. The architecture also wraps up over this space from the facade to create a unique roof element which would tie into the building frame below.
- A new public open space, in the form of an approximately 250m2 plaza adjacent to, and accessed from, St Pauls Terrace.
- The new plaza will be activated by the hotel/restaurant/commercial lobby and retail tenancy and will provide an engaging landscape design.
- Retaining and rejuvenating a state heritage landmark – the Jubilee Hotel
- New ‘start-up’ hub
- A distinctive cantilever design and external structural solution
- An offset core to archive workplace efficiency.
- Targetting 6 Star Green Star, 5 Star NABERS and Gold WELL Building Standard
- Located near Fortitude Valley station as well as the future refurbished Exhibition Station as part of the new Cross River Rail line
The DA number for this development is #DEV2017/891.