An updated development application has been submitted by Henroth Investments Pty Ltd for 281-297 Montague Rd, West End.
The proposal involves the development of two residential towers. The proposed north tower is 19 storeys and the south tower is 17 storeys.
The new design involves the creation of a public amphitheatre area along the Davies Park side of the site with retail planned surrounding the amphitheatre.
According to architects nra-co-lab, the revised design incorporates a rethink to the open space and ground plane opportunities to the West End community.
“The revised design will deliver a vibrant activated public plaza and subtropical landscaped space for the benefit of the local community.”
“The design response incorporates outstanding cross-site links in the form of direct pedestrian/cycle connections from Vulture Street, one of Brisbane’s major thoroughfares, through to the Brisbane River walkway, significantly minimising pedestrian flow disruption.”
The new public plaza space is integrated with an active retail frontage, which connects Montague Road to the centre of Davies Park, Souths Leagues Club and beyond to the Brisbane River.” – nra-co-lab
The new design features a distinct curved landscaped exoskeletal sunshade which wraps around the buildings to create a green façade and runs up the entirety of each building.
These biophilia filters are located at the ends of the open landscaped corridors and provide for the proposed vertical façade greenery. According to nra-co-lab, it is hoped that the greenery acts as fresh air filters providing natural cross ventilation to the open apartments’ walkways.
Updated features of the new design:
- Substantially reduces the site coverage and footprint of the current approved five buildings on the site and frees up the ground plane for public use and benefit.
- Create a triangular parcel of land to the West that could be incorporated at a later date into Davies Park to allow Souths Football Club the opportunity to upgrade the adjacent practice football field from the current ¾ size to a full-size field with a correct North-South axis orientation.
- Create a vibrant new public realm connecting Montague Road to the centre of Davies Park, providing an activated gateway experience to the park and through to the river.
- Reduce the number of buildings currently approved on the site from five to two unique high quality landscaped exemplars.
- Create multiple view corridors through the site to Davies Park from Montague Road, visually opening up the site to more parkland views from Montague Road.
- Provide more open space and visual amenity to the Montague Road frontage.
- Create a better, more open safer and transparent frontage for Davies Park.
- Provide the opportunity to exercise the Montague Road frontage setback to gain the desired public transport and pedestrian widening for the public benefit.
- Site area: 3,902 m²
- GFA: 46,876m²
- Number of residential apartments: For the north tower there are x76 two bedroom apartments, x95 three bedroom apartments, x12 four bed and penthouse apartments (x183 apartments total). For the south tower there are x30 one bedroom apartments, x73 two bedroom apartments, x43 three bedroom apartments, x20 four bed and penthouse apartments (x166 apartments total). x349 apartments across both towers
- Building height: North tower (x19 levels / RL 76.2m). South Tower (x17 levels / RL 69.4m)
- Retail space: 1,606m²
- Total green space: 3,382 m²
- Public accessible space: 8,135 m²
- Lifts: x3 in the south tower (lift ratio – 1:55). x4 in the north tower (lift ratio – 1:46)
- Communal space: Rooftop recreation planned on both towers which would accommodate infinity pools, gyms, dining, library / cellar, bbq areas and landscaping (3,247 m² in total across both towers)
- Car parking: x465 spaces
- Bicycle parking: x460 spaces
- Developer: Henroth Investments Pty Ltd
- Architect: nra-co-lab
- Town Planner: Urbis
- Sustainability: Landscaped gardens and planters throughout. External landscaped exoskeletal sunshade structure proposed. Provision for a rooftop solar PV system.
Tell us what you think about this masterplan below in the comment box. The development application for this project, available to view on Brisbane City Council’s Developmenti online platform is A005608649.