A five storey boutique commercial building has been proposed for 180 Main Street, Kangaroo Point by Crete Investments.
Designed by Jackson Teece, the project includes two ground floor retail tenancies, end of trip facilities with eighteen bicycle spaces as well as two basement levels of car parking.
According to the development application the proposed commercial and retail development is considered the most appropriate use of the site, given the compromised amenity from the Story Bridge for a residential use.
Furthermore, the proposal promotes an active retail and commercial environment, and supports the surrounding local catchment which is considered suitable and appropriate for the subject site. – Development Application.
The design intent of 180 Main Street was to ensure materials and finishes at the ground level are stronger and reflective of the immediate built form at the human / streetscape interface level, with upper levels more lightweight, considered and responsive to the adjoining heritage places.
- Height: 5 storeys / RL25.5m
- Site area: 432m²
- Ground floor: Two non-residential use spaces ranging in area from 131m² to 139m² to accommodate Bar and Centre activities, end of trip facilities for (18) bicycle spaces, male and female change rooms with lockers and toilets.
- Levels 1-4: Four (4) levels of commercial office space will be provided ranging in area from 499m² to 534m² that are orientated towards the Brisbane River and City Centre.
- Terrace area to Levels 1 and 2 will be provided that facilitate casual street surveillance and breakout areas for future tenants to utilise.
- Wrap around glass façade from floor to ceiling that provide direct and unobstructed views towards the Brisbane River, City centre and Story Bridge. The use of substantial glass will enable natural light and improve occupant amenity for each of the commercial office floors.
- Substantive areas of ground level and podium level landscaping, including a large street corner tree that will highlight the site entrance and provide a relaxed and comfortable environment which reinforces a sense of arrival and provides a landmark definition through materials and landscaping including deep-planting feature trees, seating and public art that integrates with the public realm enhancing amenity in the neighbourhood plan area.
- Height and scale that is reflective of the existing and future immediate development whilst preserving and ensuring heights do not exceed those nominated within the Neighbourhood plan that detract or impair views to and from the Story Bridge.
The site currently accommodates a 368m² two storey commercial building. In October 2020, the site was sold for $2,650,000.
Tell us what you think about this development below in the comment box. The development application for this project, available to view on Brisbane City Council’s Developmenti online platform is A005764320.