Aria Property Group has submitted a development application for a new 17 storey residential tower located at 164-190 Melbourne Street, South Brisbane.
The proposal is the first of three towers being planned for the newly consolidated site, which Aria purchased from former Brisbane hairdresser owner Stefan in October 2019. The site in its entirety fronts Edmondstone, Melbourne and Manning Streets.
Designed by Bates Smart and Richards & Spence, the development has a distinct terracotta red brick podium as well as terracotta coloured pre cast concrete which would run up the entirety of the building’s external facade.
The red brick and terracotta design style of the proposal is synonymous of Aria’s recent project ‘Fish Lane Town Square’ which also features the terracotta style architecture.
“33 Manning Street is a simple and elegant tower which takes best advantage of the opportunities afforded by its location, climate and scale to provide a distinctive lifestyle opportunity for Brisbane.”
– Bates Smart + Richards & Spence
An entire floor on level 1 has been dedicated to a 755m2 commercial gym tenancy.
A rooftop recreation deck is proposed which would include a pool, spa, private dining, bbq area, sunbeds, gardens and seating areas.
Due to the site being a significant development opportunity for South Brisbane due to its size, consolidated ownership, prominence on busy Melbourne Street as well as the designation within a 30 storey Principal Centre Zone precinct, Aria has been engaging with Council’s DesignSMART and Independent Design Advisory Panel (IDAP) over the last six months to master plan the development of the site.
While ultimately integrated, this application represents Tower 1 of three. However Tower 1 will be doing the heavy lifting for the master plan, containing a number of elements beyond its needs that serve the balance of the site.
- Site Area: 4,562m2
- Height: 17 Storeys / RL 72m
- Apartments: x56 two bedroom apartments, x28 three bedroom apartments (x84 apartments total)
- Lifts: x2 lifts (1:42 lift-apartment ratio)
- Retail: No ground floor retail proposed in this stage
- Communal Space: More than 525m2 is devoted to communal open space for resident recreation and relaxation
- Car Parking: x406 spaces comprising x126 resident (1.5:1), x280 shared
visitor/commercial/temporary commercial car park
- Bike Parking: x83 spaces (1 per unit) plus x9 visitor spaces
- Developer: Aria Property Group
- Architect: Bates Smart and Richards & Spence
- Landscape Design: RPS Group
- Town Planner: Saunders Havill Group
- Sustainability: Naturally ventilated corridors, subtropical landscaping and water-sensitive design, high performance low-e coat double glazing and a rooftop solar array for communal electricity consumption.
PlansB - Proposed Plans - Part 1
Tell us what you think about this masterplan below in the comment box. The development application for this project, available to view on Brisbane City Council’s Developmenti online platform is A005974571.