A development application has been submitted by Henroth Investments & Manly Properties for two new buildings with 23 levels of residential apartments as well as a new 4,000m2 public park located at 281-297 Montague Rd, West End.
The proposed development is the outcome of the exploration of an alternative vision to the current development approval. The current approved development application has five residential buildings on the site and a public realm site cover of 44% Vs the new proposed taller scheme which has two residential buildings and 64% public realm site cover.
“The Applicant proposes to deliver a similar density of development in a manner that is more responsive to the immediate and surrounding context of the site and which offers greater genuine community benefit including in the form of 7,201m2 or 67.7% of the site area as publicly accessible space at the ground plane, including a significant new 4,000m2 park to be transferred to Brisbane City Council.” – Development Application, Urbis.
The proposed alternative development vision for the site provides for:
- A new 4,000m2 public park open space contribution (not required under the Planning Scheme)
- Direct pedestrian and cycle connection from Vulture Street, one of Brisbane’s major thoroughfares, to the Brisbane River
- A public plaza flanked by an active retail frontage, connecting Montague Road through to the centre of Davies Park and Souths Leagues Club
- Sight lines through the site to Davies Park from Montague Road
- More open space to the Montague Road frontage and creates a better, more open frontage to Davies Park
- Reduced overall footprint of buildings on the site by more than a half – from 5,932m2 to 2,771m2
- Reduced total number of buildings from five to two
- An additional 36 units (8%) – 470 compared with 434 – across the 2 rather than 5 towers.
The development also includes the provision to extend the current 3/4 football pitch within Davies Park to become a second full sized field.
In the development application, Urban Planner Urbis argues that the current development approval which entails five smaller buildings and adheres to the planning scheme “simply does not deliver the same calibre of community benefits as those being offered by the applicant”.
“The proposed 4,000m2 public park, and resultant ‘stacking’ of the approved residential density in fewer, taller towers, provides for a significantly improved development outcome on site for the wider community.” – Development Application, Urbis.
Designed by nra-co-lab, the two 24 storey residential buildings aim to achieve a 5 star green star rating with roof terraces and 5 levels of basement car parking.
Tower 1 rooftop recreation deck will feature gardens, a pool, BBQ facilities, gym, lounge and bar on Level 3 & 4. Aditionally, a function room and business centre on ground and a garden terrace and ‘sky dining’ room on the Roof Terrace is planned. The penthouse suites in Tower 1 feature larger garden terraces with BBQ areas and plunge pools.
Tower 2 rooftop features a function room and business lounge on ground and a recreation deck with gardens, pool, BBQ facilities, gym, lounge, sky dining and bar on the roof terrace. There is also a small sitting terrace on the level 5 podium which doubles as access for servicing the large green wall on the east and the terraced planters on the north.
Architecturally, the building will focus on greenery. Notably there is an east facing living green wall, 4 levels high raking back, covering the Tower 2 podium.
“Conceptually the green wall is an extension of the new park, the green space combining with the living wall to generate a very soft lanscape vista at the end of Vulture Street. The green wall flanks one side of the plaza at podium, whilst on the Tower 1 side, vertical plants climb out of level 1 planters up the podium façade on cables and an aluminium screen that wraps around the Tower 1 podium.” – Development Application, Urbis.
- New public park: 4,000m2 designed primarily for passive recreation to complement the
existing active recreation spaces provided for within Davies Park Tower Site Cover 33.89% (3,602m2 of 10,628m2 site)
- Building Height Tower 1: 26 Storeys, Tower 2: 26 Storeys
- Multiple dwellings Tower 1: 200, Tower 2: 270, Total: 470
- Ground level (Centre activities) GFA: Tower 1: 353m2, Tower 2: 748m2, Total: 1,101m2
- Total Ground Level Landscaped Areas: 4,523m2
- Publicly Accessible Space: 7,201m2
- Total Residential Communal Open Space: 3,487m2
- Car Parking: Total of 741 car parks across the four basement levels consisting:
• Residential: 636
• Residential visitor: 71
• Retail/Commercial visitor: 11
• Retail owner: 10
• Motorcycle: 13
- Bicycle Parking Total of 730 bicycle parking spaces, including:
• Residential: 470
• Residential visitor: 118
• Retail: 9
Individual Unit Plans
Tell us what you think about this development below in the comment box. The development application for this project, available to view on Brisbane City Council’s Planning & Development Online is A005608649.