An application has been submitted by Dover Street Developments Pty Ltd for two 11-storey residential towers located at 31 Dover Street, Albion.
The proposal comprises of two 11-storey towers that share a common basement providing car parking for 371 cars and extensive communal open space at ground level, and on both rooftops.
According to the architects Hayes Anderson Lynch, the development has been designed to respond to the context and provide a unique living experience for its residents.
The towers have a footprint that recedes away from the frontage, allowing for a less imposing presence from the street.
- Advertisement -
The floor plates also recede from the side and rear boundaries, giving apartments a view into the communal open space rather than the surrounding sites.
The vertical design of the building incorporates steps, with levels 6 to 10 recessed behind the levels below and level 11 recessed further to reduce the apparent building height.
- Site Area: 5,600m2
- Height: 11 Storeys / 40.7m AHD
- Apartments: 218 residential units within two towers. x39 one bedroom apartments, x49 two bed, one bath apartments, x74 two bed, two bath apartments, x56 three bedroom apartments.
- Elevators: x2 in each building x4 total. Lift-to-unit ratio of 1:54.
- Retail: No ground floor retail
- Communal Space: Rooftop recreation decks on both buildings which would feature pools, bbq areas, seating areas.
- Car Parking: Car parking for 371 residents’ cars, 55 visitor spaces
- Bike Parking: x218 resident spaces, x56 visitor spaces
- Developer: Dover Street Developments Pty Ltd / Melbourne developer and fund manager OpenCorp.
- Architect: Hayes Anderson Lynch
- Landscape Design: RPS Group
- Town Planner: RPS Group
- Sustainability: No planned rooftop solar system or rainwater harvesting. Majority of rooftop will be AC plant and concrete slab. Deep plantings and landscaping throughout.
- Date Submitted: 8/2/2023
The two-staged development also includes extensive deep planting within the site frontage and a focus on landscaping and streetscaping to enhance the street view and interface with the residential uses beyond Dover Street to the west.
The 218 apartments are contained in two towers that are oriented in a “V” shape and designed to address the street in the center of the site.
The entry is framed by large planters on either tower and by curved screening elements that surround landscaping along the street.
- Advertisement -
The façade is visually segmented with the upper floors stepping away from the boundaries, creating a vertical articulation that is further enhanced with greenery.
“The soft beige and cream brick color palette is accentuated by the white metal screens and greenery, creating a peaceful and serene living environment for residents.”
- Advertisement -
“The design concept is for two residential towers in an extensively landscaped, sub-tropical setting. The soft curved metal screens unify the towers and articulate the concrete planter edges, while the large concrete planters to level two create a strong foundation for the towers to rise. “- HAL
The communal open space, equivalent to 25% of the site, provides a variety of spaces for residents to interact and socialize. At ground floor level between the two towers, there is a central pavilion containing a gym and formal dining area that can be used for small functions, surrounded by more informal communal recreation facilities such as seating and gathering areas, a yoga deck, and water features. The rooftop communal open space areas at level 11 of each tower include a swimming pool, BBQ facilities, and sun lounge terrace.
According to the application, the design approach behind the development to create a village feel that encourages residents to interact and provides private spaces for recreation, with the central communal open space area designed as a peaceful oasis for residents’ recreation.
Tell us what you think about this development below in the comment box. The development application for this project, available to view on Brisbane City Council’s Developmenti online platform is A006206019.