A development application has been submitted by Crown Group to build a new 12-storey residential development along the banks of the Brisbane River at 117 Victoria Street, West End.
Inspired by the Brisbane River and the Hinterlands beyond, architecture firm FJMT have applied a gentle, fluid interpretation to the design with distinctive warm, golden curves which meander through the building’s facade.
A subtropical river-garden design concept has also been adopted for the development which reflect’s the Brisbane City Council’s Buildings that Breathe Guidelines.
This is a concept perfectly aligned to the unique subtropical climate of riverfront Brisbane. It is an architecture of deep shade, screens, fresh air ventilation, landscape and water, mediating the heat and humidity to create a beautiful natural microclimate. – FJMT Studio (Development application document).
A courtyard U-shape design has been adopted by the architects for 117 Victoria Street. The U-shape is an architectural style prevalent in some cities like Chicago and has the advantage of maximising light and communal courtyard space and comes in all shapes and sizes.
The development includes a large 1,801 sqm resident’s recreation space in the form of a central courtyard garden. Suspended at the edge of the river is a resort style infinity waterfront pool over a shared garden terrace.
A BBQ area, large dining table and pool deck sun lounges are also planned for central recreation space. Stair access has been incorporated into the river edge of the podium to encourage people to spill out into the public domain and the river frontage. According to the development application, this also activates the podium as a thoroughfare space.
Rooftop amenity is also planned which would include lounge and dining areas, a bar, private terraces, optional plunge pool and landscaping.
This will be a unique riverfront garden lifestyle offering. Homes rather than apartments, with generous private gardens, terrace, and extensive communal landscaped environments. The form and image of the architecture is organic and riverside inspired. Tall and slender forms rise and turn towards the view like a natural river landscape: river lagoons, pools, River Gums, reeds, and exotic flowering plant life. – FJMT Studio (Development application document).
- A ten storey ‘U’ shaped tower with two-storey podium
- Site area of 10,776 sqm
- 1,801 sqm of communal open space on top of the podium at level 2, including a pool,
outdoor seating areas and landscaping
- 1,560 sqm of rooftop communal open space, including outdoor dining and seating areas
- 2,165 sqm of publicly accessible space
- Unusually large internal apartment areas.
- x160 one bedroom apartments
- x226 two bedroom apartments
- x60 three bedroom apartments
- x446 apartments total
- All apartments with minimum 12 sqm balconies
- 530 car spaces accommodated across two basement levels
- 150 sqm retail space at the corner of Victoria Street and Riverside Lands Park to be used
as Food and Drink Outlet or Shop. According to the development application, the retail space will provide activation and casual surveillance to Victoria Street and Riverside Lands Park and includes areas for outdoor dining.
Public Realm Benefits
As part of the development of the site the following public realm improvements and benefits are being provided:
- Trunk road extension to Filmer Street providing a vehicle and pedestrian connection
between Beesley and Victoria Streets
- 400 sqm trunk corridor link park along Beesley Street providing a connection to the adjacent Riverside Lands Park
- Provision of 2,165 sqm of publically accessible space within the development. A large portion of the space is provided along the western boundary of the site to provide an extension to the adjacent Riverside Lands Park and pedestrian connections between Victoria Street, Beesley Street and Riverside Lands Park. Publicly accessible space is also
proposed along the street frontages to embellish the streetscapes and improve the
amenity of the pedestrian environment.
The development application number for this project is A004827228.