A development application has been submitted to turn the old Esquire restaurant tenancy at 145 Eagle Street into a new outdoor riverfront food and drink establishment.
The scope of works proposed for the development involves an internal fit-out of the ground level tenancy for a restaurant and hotel, and the establishment of an outdoor dining area and bar for the restaurant and hotel within the terraced riverfront area.
Landscaping and awnings are proposed which will provide shade from the outdoor elements and soften the extent of built form.
According to the development application, lighting will enliven the space at night and the orientation of the terraces will increase opportunities for the public to experience views across the river and to the Story Bridge.
- Refurbishment of the former Esquire tenancy for use as a Food and Drink Outlet and Hotel.
- Reuse of existing paved terraced area for a Food and Drink Outlet and Hotel.
- Creation of a new terrace over existing stairs between the existing terrace and Riverwalk. This will be used as a Food and Drink Outlet and Hotel.
- Landscaping and public seating on the Riverwalk level which does not impede the movement corridor along the riverfront.
- Extensive landscaping, bar and retractable roof structure in the upper terrace.
Mantle Group Hospitality own and operate several well known Queensland venues such as Queen Street’s Pig ‘N’ Whistle, Jimmy’s on the Mall and Milano, as well as The Charming Squire in South Bank.
Designed by Hogg & Lamb, a subtropical River Garden theme has been adopted for the proposal. The primary goals of the development are to:
- Activate an inactive area and create a continuous line of entertainment activities along the Brisbane River
- Provide lightweight and subtropical structures that promote the outdoor lifestyle of Brisbane
- Provide a use that complements existing entertainment activities in the area
- Create a garden feel where patrons have a sense of immersion with landscaping
- Showcase impressive views of the river bend through to the Story Bridge and New Farm
The development application number for this project is A005087188.