A development application has been submitted for the refurbishment of the tired Lutwyche City shopping centre by the new owners Abacus Property Group and Zenonos Group who in 2015 bought the centre for $65 million.
The proposed refurbishment consists of the following changes:
- A new 3,400sqm Woolworths supermarket
- Extension to exterior building footprint
- Internal re-orientation of tenancies
- A new child care centre, heath care services, retail tenancies and office space
- New delivery and loading facilities
- Public realm improvements and landscaping
- Centre refurbishment and improved facade presentation
Designed by Ignite Architects, the refurbishment also includes the development of a number of tenancies overlooking Chalk Street which incorporates a long balcony running parallel to Chalk Street.
The Lutwyche-Woollowin area has a total of 36 new residential apartment developments either recently completed, under construction or about to commence marketing which equates to well over 1,000 new apartments for the immediate area.
Due to the recently completed busway station infrastructure as well as lower than average apartment price points, there has been a dramatic influx of younger demographic to the Lutwyche area which has created new retail demand.
This is the first major refurbishment for Lutwyche City since it was built in 1974.
The DA number for this development is A004508189.