A development application has been submitted by DRJ Investments for a 17-storey residential development located at 4 Higgs Street and 11 Sandgate Road, Albion.
Designed by Jackson Teece, the residential-led project would consist of 199 apartments including 21 two and three bedroom SOHO style apartments.
According to architects Jackson Teece, the development features a ‘sculptural rock’ podium facade with cascading vegetation in order to create a visually appealing green environment.
Situated directly opposite the Breakfast Creek hotel, a new public plaza is planned which will have new outdoor seating spaces and landscaped areas.
- Advertisement -
Additionally a ground level restaurant and bar with a large alfresco dining space is proposed in order to provide street activation to and around the new proposed plaza.
For the rooftop, a 20 metre la pool with recreation pool and infinity edge is proposed along with a spa, pool cabanas, gym, cinema, outdoor lounges, dog lawn, fire pit and private dining area.
- Site Area: 2,569m²
- GFA: Residential – 19,925.5m², Commercial – 390m²
- Height: 17-storeys / RL 63.85m
- Apartments: x45 one bedroom apartments, x117 two bedroom apartments, x16 three bedroom apartments, x3 two bedroom SOHO apartments, x18 three bedroom SOHO apartments (x199 apartments total).
- Elevators: x2 lifts (lift-to-unit ratio of 1:99.5)
- Retail: A large 390m² ground floor restaurant and bar
- Communal Space: Rooftop recreation deck with pool, spa, pool cabanas, gym, cinema, outdoor lounges, dog lawn, fire pit and private dining area
- Car Parking: x247 car parking spaces contained in the basement (5 levels)
- Bike Parking: x234 spaces
- Developer: DRJ Investments
- Architect: Jackson Teece
- Landscape Design: Place Design Group
- Town Planner: Place Design Group
- Sustainability: A generous rooftop 81 panel solar array is proposed for communal power. 251m² of deep planting throughout with green cascading gardens on podium level. A recycling chute or dual waste diverter to recycling is needed for this project.
- Date Submitted: 28/06/2023
According to the development application the podium level balustrading features a ‘valance’ batten edge and screening, reminiscent of the batten and lattice work of the traditional Queenslander to control solar penetration and maximise airflow.
“The tower also features balcony planters to apartments, providing residents with a connection to landscape in the elevated dwellings. In terms of building materials, the tower materials are a counterpoint with elegant simple finishes, where the building forms will take precedence over the materiality.
- Advertisement -
They will also feature low maintenance and non-porous finishes to avoid build-up of dirt.” – Place design group
The development is located nearby the Brisbane City Council’s new green bridge which is currently being constructed over Breakfast Creek. It is also located within close proximity to the proposed Breakfast Creek Sports Precinct.
Early planning is underway, and the Queensland State Government (State) has been working closely with Brisbane City Council, the Brisbane 2032 Olympic and Paralympic Games Organising Committee and key sporting institutions to develop a plan for the precinct which meets the expectations of the site partners and the broader community.
- Advertisement -
This new proposal supersedes a previous development application by DRJ Investments for a ten storey commercial building which was approved on the site.
Tell us what you think about this development below in the comment box. The development application for this project, available to view on Brisbane City Council’s Planning & Development Online is A006306280.
Receive the latest development news to your inbox by subscribing to BrisbaneDevelopment.com here.