Property giant Stockland has submitted a long awaited DA for three 25 storey residential towers located at 23-79 High Street Toowong, on a 1.3 hectare site, currently the site of a Woolworths supermarket.
According to the development application, the yet to be named project will be developed in three stages and will include extensive ground floor retail activation.
- Stage 1: 25 storey residential tower (184 units) fronting Sherwood Road, with ground level retail uses (1,354m2 GFA) and an expansive plaza, and associated parking and servicing. Residential and visitor access will occur via Sherwood Road, and servicing will occur via Jephson Street.
- Stage 2: 25 storey residential tower (172 units) fronting High Street, ground level retail uses (328m2 GFA), expansive podium private open space plaza and associated parking. Shared residential and visitor access will occur via Sherwood Road, and the servicing and services access will be shared with Stage 1; and Jephson St access.
- Stage 3: 25 storey residential tower (174 units) fronting High Street, ground level retail uses (267m2 GFA), expansive podium private open space plaza and associated parking. Shared residential and visitor access will occur via Sherwood Road, and the servicing and services access will be shared with Stages 1 and 2. Jephson St access.
- x65 – 1 Bedroom Apartments
- x111 – 2 Bedroom Apartments
- x8 – 3 Bedroom Apartments
- Total 184 Apartments
- x67 – 1 Bedroom Apartments
- x97 – 2 Bedroom Apartments
- x8 – 3 Bedroom Apartments
- Total 172 Apartments
- x70 – 1 Bedroom Apartments
- x98 – 2 Bedroom Apartments
- x6 – 3 Bedroom Apartments
- Total 174 Apartments
- Street Interfaces
- Podium Amenities
- Recreational Deck
Sherwood Road and High Street Interfaces
The street interfaces, treated with feature glazing linked with the architectural language of the towers, provide and identifiable and active frontages. A new public laneway from Sherwood Road considers the adjacent development at 34 Sherwood Road.
Integrated with seating, landscaping, and retail offerings this laneway provides respite from the Sherwood Road streetscape. Active retail frontages face high street, providing a backdrop to the new bus lane. The ‘ravine’, a landscaped public space between the tower 2 an 3 lobbies provides relief from the High Street traffic.
According to the DA, the proposal provides a high quality architectural design with a unique public realm environment and significant enhancements to the streetscape.
The iconic buildings respond to the opportunity to produce a project that can become an exemplary model for Toowong and the wider region.
Strong linkages are proposed with the overall precinct by providing expansive arcades and a plaza, connecting pedestrians from Sherwood Road to High Street.
The development will represent an enhancement of the streetscape and contribute to the ongoing development of a vibrant, friendly and safe precinct.
According to preliminary pre-lodgement meetings, a 3,000 sqm supermarket was part of the original development however it has been removed upon request by council in order to open up space at ground level and create better accessibility and permeability of the area.
Instead, the development accommodates 18 smaller retail tenancies positioned along Sherwood Road and High Street activating street side space.
Landscaping & Amenity
The development comprises of extensive podium level residential amenity as well as a rooftop recreation deck on level 25 of tower 1.
The DA number for this development is A004501512.