Nielson Properties – the developer behind Brisbane’s Santos Place has submitted a new DA for a 59 level residential tower located at 500 George Street.
The tower rises 190 metres above sea level and comprises of 144 serviced apartments and student accommodation from level 8 to 25 as well as 248 (124 x 1B1B, 124 x 2B2B) residential apartments from level 26 to 56.
The development involves the complete retention of the King George Chambers at the front of the site, with connectivity through the ground level so that the retained building provides a foyer component and the main pedestrian access point to the new development.
Designed by Cottee Parker, the tower includes a full floor resident’s sky pool and terrace on level 58
The tower is also one of the city’s thinnest towers, measuring less than 20 metres wide, signifying Brisbane’s arrival into a global trend of narrower but taller buildings.
Architect Cottee Parker states:
“The design aims to distinguish itself as a landmark building and achieve a modern urban form that will stand alone as a notable piece of Architecture, while maintaining the demonstration of the evolution and local cultural heritage with the integration of King George Chambers. – Cottee Parker
Key design features of the development include:
- A podium with artwork designed intentionally to facilitate the prominence of King George Chambers when ‘read’ from the street level with sympathetic colouring and complementary textures;
- A tower component where materials play a key role in identity and geometry with glazing used to create the dynamic vertical movement and interest on the façade;
- Units designed with deep balconies facing north-east toward Roma Street Parklands and south-west toward the Brisbane River;
- A sky terrace to include a communal recreation space with a swimming pool and outdoor seating facilities; and
- Retention of the existing King George Chambers building which provides an activated frontage to the site through the inclusion of various retail outlets.
The DA number for this development is A004136291.