A development application has been submitted for a 10-12 storey integrated health care and aged care development by The Trustee for Main St Medical Trust located at 52-64 Annerley Road, Woolloongabba.
Designed by Kris Kowalski Architects, the development includes 7,678 sqm of health care services, an 842 sqm childcare centre, 70 residential care facility rooms, 45 retirement facility units and 876 sqm of ground-level retail space.
The 10-storey health care component of the development is located at 52 Annerley Road and is proposed to take up levels 1-8. The child care centre is proposed at level 9 and on the rooftop.
According to the development application, the number and size of individual health care service uses will be resolved during the detailed design phase in consultation with potential tenants.
A balcony on the Annerley Road frontage is proposed at each level. Landscaping is proposed to be accommodated vertically up the building, including on top of the podium, within each of the balconies and the roof of the building.
The building facade will incorporate feature lighting for both aesthetic and practical benefits. Building entries and awnings will feature creative lighting which can be seen and recognised from a distance.
- The building is broken into two components. The component generally on 52 Annerley Road is comprised of 10 storeys and is proposed to accommodate health care services.
- The component on 64 Annerley Road is comprised of 12 storeys (with the same visual height as the 10-storey component) and is proposed to accommodate aged care and retirement facilities
- 7,678 sqm of health care services
- 842 sqm childcare centre at level 9 of the building at 52 Annerley Road. The child care centre will include the outdoor space on the roof of the building
- 70 aged care facility rooms
- 45×two bedroom retirement facility units (independent living units)
- Four ground level retail tenancies are planned, comprising a total of 876 sqm of retail floor space
- Two separate pedestrian entrances and foyers at ground level for each of the building components
- Substantial landscaping and deep planting along Annerley Road. The landscaping and setback in the building line at ground level creates a useable “outdoor room” between the building line and streetscape, and the landscaping along Annerley Road creates a boulevard/colonnade of vegetation.
- 282 car spaces accommodated in the four basement levels
- Vehicle access to the basement level car parking is provided via Heaslop Street adjacent to the eastern boundary of the site. Servicing is located at ground level adjacent to the basement car parking entrance. A separate ambulance bay is also located off Lockhart Street.
- Planter boxes on roof terraces and balconies provided functional and attractive outdoor spaces for both the occupants and the public
- Greenery has been incorporated to various external building elements such as balconies and podium edges, which contributes to the character of the building from both the street and within the skyline
- Planting incorporating on balconies and terraces filters natural light and provide garden like environment
- Internal planting will be a feature in common areas on ground floor
Street trees and vegetation
- A significant subtropical boulevard outcome has been achieved by including an outdoor room for pedestrians along Annerley which contributes to the amenity and comfort of the streetscape environment
- Extensive landscaping including deep planting has been provided along street frontages, enhancing subtropical character of our city
In 2016, the Brisbane City Council amended the city planning framework (Brisbane City Plan 2014) to offer a more streamlined approach to extending or upgrading residential care and retirement facilities in order to grow the amount of accessible aged care options within the existing inner-city areas of Brisbane.
The development site is located along the proposed Annerley Road cycleway which was unveiled last year by the Brisbane City Council.
The development application number for this project is A004827412.