A development application has been submitted by GENC Investments Pty Ltd for the construction of two 20 storey residential buildings located at 26 Balaclava St, Woolloongabba.
Designed by NAM Architecture, the development supersedes a previous application for a 17 and 20 storey residential development.
While the towers themselves have increased slightly in height, the overall density has decreased by two apartments to 240 in total.
The updated application also proposes to convert a quarter of the dwellings within the development to be short term accommodation. The short term accommodation units would be located within Tower 2.
Additionally, a basement car park level has been removed from the previous application resulting in the podium’s height increasing from 2 storeys to 4 storey across the site to
accommodate car parking as a result of the removal of a basement.
- Site area: 2,977m2
- Apartments: Tower 1: x32 two bedroom apartments and x64 three bedroom apartments. Tower 2: x64 one bedroom / studio apartments, x80 two bedroom apartments
- Car parking: 291
- Height: 20 storeys / 75.85 AHD
- Ground retail: x3 tenancies on ground level. A large 700m2 corner cafe, shop or office as well as two smaller retail tenancies along Balaclava Street (106.4m2 & 106.36m2)
- Residential amenities: Each tower will have a rooftop pool deck with BBQ facilities on level 20
- Landscape architects: Agla
According to architects NAM, the building facades have been simplified in order to provide clean flowing lines which are “minimal yet elegant”.
The site is now in the process of being purchased by GENC Investments and a pre-lodgement meeting was held on 13 September 2021 seeking advice on the
changes proposed which entailed amendments to both the uses and building envelope.
The previous application by SMAC Property Group Pty Ltd received Council approval on 30 January 2019.
The site currently houses a Tradelink showroom and a small two storey commercial building.
Tell us what you think about this masterplan below in the comment box. The development application for this project, available to view on Brisbane City Council’s Developmenti online platform is A005855406.